Monday, February 9, 2015

Initial Canvas

I recently decided to put up a gallery wall on the stairway. I've been planning day and night on how exactly I want it to look, what pictures I want to use and more importantly what I want it to represent.  I was torn between doing something simple or something vibrant and kinda playful. Eventually, I went with the latter.

First thing I did was decide what size I wanted the canvas in which was 8x10. I headed to one of my favorite stores - Michaels and they had a pack on sale.

Then came the hard part - deciding what fabric to use for the canvas. I stumbled on this fabric at Walmart and I just knew I had to get it.
I got home and went straight to work. Honestly the whole process took less than 10 minutes.

I had painted the initial about 3 days before so it was dried completely.

First I cut a small piece of the fabric. A little over enough to cover the front of the canvas and I ironed it.

Then I got busy with my staple gun. I started with the 2 long sides making sure the fabric was tight and flat over the surface.
















Finally, I folded the edges and stapled the top and bottom and cut off the excess material.
The last step was to glue the initial on the canvas. I tried to use my hot glue gun but for some reason it just wouldn't stick. Then I had a brilliant idea to use mod podge and VOILA it did the magic!
     

I'll do a post on the gallery wall when its completed so stay tuned for that soon.